The Thesis for this project revolves around the collected. It highlights the taken for granted fact that we are constantly collecting knowledge experience inspirations and disappointments that contribute to our character and that weather this collection is conducted formally or not doesn’t matter in the end when we design it will be with these acquired parts. From the beginnings of the project where the collection began I journeyed to Italy visiting buildings that could represent the biography of there owners. These places which where charged with personal identity of the past creators lead to the emergence of a brief which will be about making a home for an elderly person. But to implement to the extreme the idea of collection and identity the inhabitant will construct this house alone as a long-term project.

“To have seen Italy without having seen Sicily is not to have seen Italy at all, for Sicily is the clue to everything.” Goethe, Italian Journey

Working through a series of set tasks and challenges set the order of the work over the year, but what follows is not necessarily a chronological account of the work as it progressed but an attempt to rebuild the process in the way which I have done to reach the final outcome of the project. Sometimes parts of the work progressed at a fast pace with many drawings models and research produced that might not a fed directly into the project, on other occasions taking the time to look over the work slowed production to a near halt whilst I re-evaluated my positions and chose a direction. En-route many diversions, roundabouts and a fair amount of shortcuts (Usually the well known longer kind) where taken before reaching the current point in this on-going journey.

collage

collage

fragments 1

fragments 1

fragments 2

fragments 2

ponti dinner

ponti dinner

view 2

view 2

view 1

view 1

glipmse

glipmse

elevation 1

elevation 1

plan1

plan1

axo collage

axo collage